Recently my common law spouse passed away without an updated…

Customer Question
Recently my common law spouse...
Recently my common law spouse passed away without an updated will. The will was from 1987. Over the three years we were together I had lent him money for different things, do I have any recourse to have these loans paid back to me by the estate.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/15/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
What province are you in please?
b.c
In BC common law spouses do not have property rights. I was hoping you could claim as a spouse but cannot.

You can make a claim to the estate for any monies owing to you.

As well, if you contributed to the value of any of the assets in your spouse's name you can make a claim for an interest in those assets. The contribution could be financial or through effort.

If you need further clarification let me know.
I'm not claiming for property i'm claiming for money lent to pay off debt that was acquired before we meet . It was about 50,000.00
I understand that and you can claim any debts as I stated. I am just explaining that you may have a larger claim depending on the facts.