2009, my Mother made a report to childrens aid society because…

Customer Question
2009, my Mother made a...
2009, my Mother made a report to children's aid society because she was not in favour of me homeschooling my son. |They asked her many questions to which she responded including questions about my two other children. I refused to speak to cas and so they have started a case against me. We have been to court twice and now the case is going to mediation, the court has forced me to allow cas into our home and they have been here five or six times. My question is because the mother's call was only to express concerns on the education of my oldest son, because I am home schooling him, how do they have the right now to question my parenting ability of my other two children age 2 and 10 months. We have presented the court with papers exempting my son from school, a pediatrician report and any alligations they have against me are without any proof and false. What do I need to do to win this case and get them out of my life?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/13/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
They can do whatever investigations they deem necessary. The point is that they want to ensure that your children are not at risk with you.

Homeschooling is a legitimate means of education in our society and it's not considered to be grounds for establishing abuse or neglect in an of themselves.

If the CAS is insisting on further investigations then there must be concerns that go beyond the homeschooling issue. But, these could have arisen as a result of your initial failure to co-operate.

If they are not withdrawing from your lives now then it's best to retain a family lawyer who is experienced in child protection matters.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.