At our church, we recently offered a verbal job offer for a…

Customer Question
At our church, we recently...
At our church, we recently offered a verbal job offer for a new part-time employee. A couple of weeks later, for a whole series of reasons, we amended the job offer giving the person the same job title but reduced job responsibilities and a 25% decrease in salary. We basically split the job into two jobs. The person has declined the revised job offer and is very angry at us. The person says that we have acted in an unethical manner. Can the person sue the church? Nothing has yet been put in writing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/13/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

Did the person leave his/her current job after you made the offer?

Was the offer for a fixed term such as for a year?

Customer:

no, they did not leave their current part-time job. They still have it. The term is 3 months probation and then for 1 yr.

Customer:

The job was going to start in July. We became worried about the abilities of the person to do the full job which is one of the reasons why we split the job into 2. Another person has already accepted a job offer for the split part of the job, also starting in July.

debra thal :

If they did not suffer any damages then it's hard to see how they can sue you and win anything.

It's unfortunate that you made the offer of course because you do have an agreement now. The fact that it is verbal doesn't mean it's any less valid or binding.

But, if you provided for three months probation before the 1 year term then you could dismiss this person without cause during that time.

And, given the person did not give up the other part time job or turn down another job ( I hope that's true) he/she didn't suffer damages.

If the person consults with a lawyer it's not likely anything more will come of it.

I hope that helps.

Customer:

Thanks. This is very helpful.

Debra, Lawyer
You are welcome.