How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I protect myself financially from my husband, we have

Customer Question

How do I protect myself financially from my husband, we have been separated for a year he lives in Ontario and I live in Edmonton. We bought a house in Ontario with the idea of moving and working at the family businesses. But my husband is an alcoholic and has started to drink again, lost his job and I can not afford both places. He is maxing out the credit cards and probably allot more than I know right now with him being so far.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

Who is the account holder on the cards he uses?

Do you have joint debts?

What has happened so far in terms of division of assets?


He is the main holder of the cards I have a second card on it.


We have a Line of Credit on the Edmonton house to buy the Ontario house and there has been no division of assets as of yet