How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100412
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I put a personal lein on a motorcycle I put $10,000.

Customer Question

How do I put a personal lein on a motorcycle?
I put $10,000. towards a bike for my boyfriend (paid by cashier's cheque noted VIN), with verbal promise of repayment. He took off, put bike in someone elses name but he drives it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, your only option is to sue him and then seek to enforce the order by seizing his assets.

You can write him a letter and send it by Registered Mail, basically just saying what you are owed and why. Give him a deadline for returning the money. Tell him that if he fails to meet the deadline you will commence legal proceedings against him and will be seeking the $10,000, interest and your legal costs.

If he fails to comply you can then sue him in Small Claims Court.

If it gets that far you can post on this site again and request my assistance and I will be happy to guide you through the process.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Debra:


Thank you for the quick response.


Although I am not thrilled about the answer (not you but the law). I was really hoping I could go about this a different way. Of course it's a long story, but not really safe for me to go about it the way you indicated and I actually didn't think I could do anything, seeing as the bike isn't actually in his name (and never was).


Unfortunately, I will have to eat the loss.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
If you weren't giving him a gift then he owes you the money. It may be the case that you cannot get the bike but if you have a judgment you can enforce it against other assets or garnish his wages.

Related Canada Law Questions