How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100051
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I go back to using my maiden name if I am only separated

Resolved Question:

Can I go back to using my maiden name if I am only separated and not divorced?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
What province are you in please?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am recently separated. I want to revert back to my maiden name. Can I do this. I live in Manitoba Canada
Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
You will need to apply for a change of name.

This is because people who changed their last name at the time they married must file a change of name application and obtain a legal change of name if they want to change their name during the marriage. This is so, even if the person wants to resume the use of their last name before marriage or birth surname.

A divorced or widowed person may resume using the surname they used before marriage, or at birth, without a formal name change through Vital Statistics.

Application forms can be obtained by contacting Vital Statistics, via
telephone at(NNN) NNN-NNNN(toll free 1-800-282-8069 in Manitoba only),
fax at(NNN) NNN-NNNN or email [email protected] Applications
are submitted to Vital Statistics.

Once you change your name you are responsible for informing all the various governmental agencies.

Here's a link to a list of whom to contact:

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Debra and 2 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions