Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live in ontario, canada. I pay child support for 2 children.

I live in ontario, canada. I pay child support for 2 children. My 17 year old quit school last month.   she will be 18 in January. Am I still responsible to pay child support for my daughter who quit school, and for how long.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 years ago.
In Ontario the age of majority is 18. If a child reaches the age of majority and is no longer financially dependent because of full-time attendance at school she is no longer entitled to child support.

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
but she is only 17. and has quit school. must i continue paying until she is 18
Expert:  Debra replied 8 years ago.
Yes. You have to pay until she reaches the age of majority.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
why am I required to pay for a 17 yr old who no longer attends school, and no longer lives with either parent. She has removed herself from parental control and moved in with her boyfriend. Why am i required to continue to pay her mother.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 years ago.
Sorry. The additional information that you posted was not showing when I first read the post. It sometimes takes a long time to post.

I am glad you persisted.

If she doesn't live at home she is not entitled to receive child support at all unless you have given her permission to do so and in that case it would not make sense to give the mother the support.

If the mother is lying then this is fraud. At the least you can require her to reimburse you for the money you've paid her since the child moved out.