Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is there a statue of limitations in canadian law . I was charged

Customer Question

Is there a statue of limitations in canadian law . I was charged with Break and enter and pointing firearm in 1982(27 years ) in Kamloops British columbia. Has time ran out ?Thing is I was charged with impaired in 1987 and got $1000 dollar fine in Naniamo British Columbia but other charge was never mentioned in court or said I was wanted Now its on my record as stay of proceedings
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 years ago.
There is no limitation period for indictable offences in Canada.

Also, if you were charged and then went failed to appear those charges are never statute barred no matter what and if there was a warrant for your arrest it is also still valid.

If you want this all cleared up the most prudent thing to do is to consult with a criminal lawyer.

What you can do is contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the names of three lawyers and can consult with any or all of them and the first half hour will be free.

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.