Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How do I put a lien on a residential property in Ontario.

How do I put a lien on a residential property in Ontario. I had rented my condo in Alberta to them and damage was done and they are now refusing to pay for the damages. They own property in Ontario and I would like to put the lien on there Ontario property.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 years ago.
You cannot do that until you have a judgment against them.

What you have to do is sue, get the judgment and then seek to enforce it through the Sheriff's office.

Because the damage happened in Alberta you will need to sue there and once you have the order it will be recognized by the Ontario Courts.

I hope that clarifies things.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.