Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

Trying to understand division of assets during divorce in…

Customer Question
Trying to understand division...

Trying to understand division of assets during divorce in BC?

Lawyer's Assistant: Were any of the assets acquired before the marriage? Or given through an inheritance?

This is purely money in the bank. Is the division 50/50 on all money in seperate bank accounts (not gift, inheritence etc) or only on the amount acquired together in a joint account?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where are you located? Divorce laws vary by state.

BC

Submitted: 9 days ago.Category: Canada Family Law
8/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 9 days ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

How long have you been married for and if you lived together first how long did you live together for?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thank you! We were together for 5 years, 1 of which we were married for. We formally lived together after 1 year together.

Then how asset division works is that you share equally in the value of all assets acquired during the relationship excluding gifts and inheritances. You also share equally in the increase in value of the assets that were brought into the relationship.

So you take what is in your name (taking 1/2 for a jointly held asset) and total the value and from that you subtract debts, gifts, inheritances and the value of any asset owned by you the day you started the relationship. You do the same for your spouse. If one of you has a higher amount that person pays an amount to the other spouse to equalize your totals.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Sorry, so to clarify, it is 50/50 of all cash (minus gifts, inheritance etc) earned during the time together (regardless of whose name it is in?). And then is that the 5 years we were together, 4 years we were living together? 3 years where (in doing my reading we were common law relationship) or the 1 year we were married?
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 8 days ago

Common law spouses have the same rights as legally married spouses so the full 5 years counts but that is not what you look at.

You look at what you have on the date of separation. What is in your name. Take the total value. From that subtract an gifts and inheritances, any debts and the value of any assets at the date you started cohabiting. Do the same for your spouse. Compare those totals.

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
let’s say he has $0 in his account when we started dating. No debt but no assets. I have $300k in my account when we started dating (minus gifts etc) but only $100k of that earnt when we started cohabitating one year later. We then have a mutual account of $300k accumulated whilst dating. Is this example, upon separation is this division $300k per person? Or is it $200k from when we first start cohabitating after one year together?

You take the value of what you had when you started cohabiting. That is subtracted from your total now.

It has nothing to do with when you started dating.

So if there was a joint account together on the date you started cohabiting you each take 1/2 of that as the assets to be subtracted from the total.

Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 7 days ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?