Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I am presently paying spousal support. According to my court…

Customer Question
I am presently paying...

I am presently paying spousal support. According to my court document I have to pay until I retire. I am 68 and would like to work a couple of days

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

A week to supplement my income. Would I be required to pay the same amount I am currently paying If I do work?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are you in?

Ontario

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
5/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Is it common place in your industry for people to retire at around your age?

it is. The court order I received states that I may retire this month but if I continue working spousal support continues.
If my income becomes much less if I choose to go back part time do I have to continue with the same amount that was
calculated when my income was much higher? Also how I go about requesting a lower amount if I continue working?

You would bring an application to the court to seek to vary the amount of support based on a material change of circumstance.

This is clearly bona fide and you will be able to reduce the support to reflect your new level of income.

Your former spouse should first be asked to consent.

If you google Ontario motion to change you will find several links to guides. I cannot provide them as they all seem to go to PDFs.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?