Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I live in ALBERTA, CANADA. I am divorcing my husband as he…

Hi Pearl, this...

Hi Pearl, this is Sandy Vanderwolf and I live in ALBERTA, CANADA. I am divorcing my husband as he cheated on me. For many years, our marriage goes up and down until now. Found he committed Adultery. I can not talk to this man as he's is so good at lying, As long as I don't put me emotions first, I can tell right now he is lying. This man could be Adolf Hitler, he wants my disability cheque with his bank account so he can dictate what dr. I see. Do I need this medication? It gets worse. In order for me to express my opinion or to tell him something, I write notes and small letters. One of the letters is putting his brother and sister down (after 40 years, they lie too and they didn't tell me that he cheated and committed adultry) second one gave a list of my 32 illnesses. My question is, can he show his lawyer these small letters and my list of illnesses and can his lawyer go through my doctor to see my medical records?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Canadian family court?

I filed for divorce in January, Oh before I forget he lies so much that I think he believes it. Sorry, then he received the divorce papers on Feb. 7/18. His lawyer had called him cause there were some financial documents missing. They are missing because he does not want to let me take that money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I just email him and he won't see it til Monday or even later. But to ease my mind, I can't wait that long. My lawyer knows everything in the book as to what husbands do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not right now Pearl.

4/21/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Is custody of minor children one of the issues?

No our childŕen are all married.

Then your health records and even any mental health records do not matter. They are not relevant and no court would order they be produced.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
What if my husband tells his lawyer that I am fit to be alone. Or anything else that he can blame me for. You see he has hidden lots of money and does not want to waste money on a lawyer. He plays head games like you wouldn't believe. Since I get half of everything, I feel that he might use my health records against me?
Sorry. The first sentence above should be that I am not fit to be alone. I find that funny cause he never thought of me on his joy rides.

That is not possible.

If you are not fit to be alone a psychiatrist would have to make that determination. It has nothing to do with family law or the division of assets.