Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I’m looking for the forms to respond to a notice of contempt…

Customer Question
I’m looking for the...

I’m looking for the forms to respond to a notice of contempt served on me this morning

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I recd this notice today hurbgave not been in court since October 2016 when a final order was reached

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are you in?

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The notice was issued on the 22nd of this month, I was served today with the court date set for April 6. Can they do that? There was no time for me to file a response

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

There are no forms to fill out in response. This is a quasi criminal proceedings for the most part and as such this is really a summons to appear and you will have to defend yourself in person.

They are not out of time for serving you. Even if this was a regular motion you would only have 4 days to respond.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?