Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My husband and his ex went to court last year. She got

My husband and his...

My husband and his ex went to court last year. She got everything she asked for. Since then she continues to harass us and threatens to withhold the children. It's a constant battle is their anyway there can be a no contact order between parents with shared custody? We pay our support we abide by the court order. We just want peace.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have your husband and his ex taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

Yes they have a court order issued by a judge. We get them 3 weekends on, 1 weekend off and half of school holidays.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

We are in saskatchewan canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is bipolar with a personailty disorder. Also she has just told us she leaves the boys home alone after school for up the 3 hrs. They are 8 and 10. And their is a sex offender that lives across the street.

3/26/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

When was the order for custody and access made?

The order was official last August 2017.

That was a short while ago so in most cases it is hard to get back into court this soon after an order was made.

But if you are sure that she is leaving these small children alone for three hours then it is clear grounds to go back to court as leaving aside the issue of the sex offender is she putting the children in an unsafe situation at the very least.

And if she is bipolar a not on medication she is placing the children at further risk.

As well, she has no right to withhold the kids if there is an order so your spouse can seek a finding of contempt and for making the order police enforceable.

In terms of the contact the court can order that communications be limited to what is needed for the children and nothing more.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
its a start thankyou. Can we make the order police enforceable if she has only threatened? Its constantly a battle but she always gives in last minute. She is only doing it to harrass my husband. Also would we have to prove she is off her meds or would the court look into that?
it is her threatening to take us back to court to take away more of our time with the children. Is this a pretty empty threat if the court order was just made AND she got everything she asked for?

The court doesn't look into anything. A judge only makes decisions on evidence put before them.

The court may make the order police enforceable as she is controlling your spouse through these threats.

It is a nonsensical empty threat.

Thank you so much for your time! I will let you know if I have anymore questions.

I will be here if you need me.

Take good care.