Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I need to speak with a lawyer who knows Canadian family law…

I need to speak...

I need to speak with a lawyer who knows Canadian family law as I am in BC Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Canadian lawyer about this?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

He has retained a lawyer to dispute splitting the house we bought together and child/spousal support. I have the children and my question is ...we separated in April 2017...the house sold in Oct. and the funds are held with the lawyer. I bought a home a month ago and I have to state that on the Assets part of the financial statement. How does that effect the division of our house we sold in Oct? He cant claim any of it correct? Also does that change what he will give me now in spousal/child support?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes...I was gifted the money to buy this house for myself and kids from a family member who said it was going to be inherited to me anyway.

3/24/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Assets acquired after separation are not shared. Gifts and inheritances are not shared either.

So he has no claim to this asset and it will not affect your entitlement to support. It will not affect the division of family assets either.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer