Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My family currently lives in the US and we are planning to…

My family currently lives in...
My family currently lives in the US and we are planning to move to Canada. My kids were born in the US but my husband and I are both Canadian. We plan to visit Victoria BC in the next little while to try to establish some things. Around a month later we'll be travelling toOttawa. Which of the following can be done in person and can they be done in both locations or only one? Also, can do all of this before I have a residence or do I have to wait until I have an actual residence? If I have to wait, would a P.O. Box be sufficient? I'm going to be buying my mom's house in Ottawa so would I be able to use her address before we close on the sale in order to establish residence in Ontario? My husband will be staying in BC and will be renting an apartment there so I need to know for that scenario as well.7. Investigate GIS and senior subsidized housing for my husband in BC (he's 67 years old and is receiving OAS and CPP) and any other support systems for them?
This is questions part 4.
3/23/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You can start reading here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/guaranteed-income-supplement/apply.html

Normally after applying OAS if your spouse was eligible for GIS he would have been sent a letter but that didn't happen because he was in the US. So he can apply in writing now.

If you want to simply ask how this works then you can call the government. They are actually very helpful:

1-800-277-9914

Your spouse may be eligible for government house because he is a senior but he has to be permanently living in BC before applying unfortunately.

Here is a link to the information you will need:

https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assistance/rental-housing/subsidized-housing

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer