Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I was married for 8.5 years, and now I almost one year

Hello, I was married...

Hello, I was married for 8.5 years, and now I almost one year separated. My husband want to comeback with me, but I don't know if it will work. if I divorce for example, one year form now I still get my spousal support?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Canada, ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/14/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

If you and your spouse reconcile for over 90 days then support would end and you would need to fight to get it again if you separate again.

But there is a way around this and that is to have a cohabitation agreement which could say support would continue if you separate again.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
We don't have any type of agreement. We separate because he hit me when I confront him that he want it to cheat on me, and I call the police. So now he want to comeback with me, and I want to now what are my chooses. Could you explain me?

You don't get back together until you've seen a lawyer and have a cohabitation agreement drafted.

I am legally married. I still need a cohabitation agreement drafted?

You should have a reconcilation agreement drafted.

I have to write it myself or a lawyer?
You will have to have a lawyer write it. I lay person cannot write a complex legal document like this.