Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I have a question about Canadian family law. I'm in Alberta,

Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a question about Canadian family law.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Alberta, Canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My ex husband and I divorced in 2014. He has never paid any child support for our 2 children. Shortly after our divorce he was kicked out of where he was living and he disappeared, we have not had any contact since.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've tried to open a file with Alberta MEP twice now and they tell me that without a current address for him they cannot open a file for me, even though I have provided his SIN to them. They say they cannot do anything without the address because they have to serve him paperwork, even though we have the child support agreement worked into our divorce papers.

Answered in 1 day by:
3/11/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

But what is your specific question?

Why can’t they use his SIN to garnish any earnings he may have? Shouldn’t our divorce agreement be enough? Is there anything I can do?
Is there any time frame where I can claim he has abandoned his children and enable their step-Dad to adopt them?

There are two questions here. I will answer the first now and then when we are done and you've rated me then you can start a new post for the second and I will answer you there.

An agreement is not enough. MEP needs a court order. You have to seek to enforce the agreement by going to court and have it changed into an order.

Then you can register the order with them.

If they can find him they will garnish his income for sure.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer