Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My boyfriends kids needs are not being met, they have been…

My boyfriends kids needs are...
My boyfriends kids needs are not being met , they have been moving around for the past few months , they haven’t been in school this year, they have cas involved but yet they aren’t doing anything. They were homeless so my boyfriend drove to pick up his ex , and the kids , moved them to our town, got them an apartment, signed them up for school, made doctors appointments , and basically had them almost everyday for the past 2 months. They weren’t even in school for a month , and this past weekend she packed up her things and moved without notice .. is there anyway we can file for custody ? I feel like with the mom being unstable and moving around since last June 2017 that the Children’s needs and safety are not being met.
1/15/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Is the CAS still involved?

Are there any orders with respect to custody or access right now?

he has access and she denies him, they went to court last year in 2017 .. he’s suppose to be able to talk to them 2 times a week, take them for March break and 2 weeks in the summer.. she lives 12 hours away.. originally the court order was for when she lived in Windsor and than she moved to her sisters in Kincardin Ontario , got kicked out went to a hotel , then moved back to Windsor into another hotel , than back to kincardine to another hotel and couldn’t afford anything else as she got kicked off of welfare so boyfriend drove to some town to get a uhaul, then went to kincardin loaded up the uhaul and drove her to Kirkland Lake Ontario, he helped her get the place and helped her get her financial back up and running .... cas was still involved but had no idea of what happened .. the boyfriend just got ahold of cas this morning to let them know what was going on. Apparently the kids aren’t even suppose to be near or with the person the mother is now staying at.. I am not sure what to do , I just want to help these kids so much, for supper the mom feeds them ravioli and dollarama beef stove everyday . That’s all they would eat

That is really sad.

Your boyfriend can bring an application by way of motion to change the order. There are several factors leading to a material change of circumstances. These include all these examples of how the children are not being cared for properly but on top of that she is exposing them to someone the CAS finds to be too dangerous to be near the kids.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

No thank you for your help. Cas is looking for the whereabouts the children are and will be speaking with the mom , if they don’t like what she has to say they are removing the kids from her

I hope they find them soon.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer