Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

If is divorce has been granted and finalized, with a

Customer Question
If is divorce has...

If is divorce has been granted and finalized, with a separation agreement in place before, can one party then seek equity from a home? Do divorced parties fall under the family law act or the divorce act?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Newfoundland and labrador

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The divorced was final for approximately 8 months, then one party filed documents for spousal support and equity

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

What did the separation agreement say about the division of assets?

it stated all assets were divided and the other party did receive equity from the home.
There is a 10 year gap between the separation agreement and the divorce certificate. Both were filed by the other party

And is only one party's name on title?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!