Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

In a child support issue, both parents are ordered to

exchange tax information to facilitate...
In a child support issue, both parents are ordered to exchange tax information to facilitate expense sharing / determination of support amounts. If the payer refuses / fails to provide their tax or income information, despite the court order, what would the next steps be? What sort of potential penalties would their be?
1/5/2018
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

Does the court order specifically say that the parties much exchange annual income information? Or does it say that the payor must give the information to the support recipient?

It specifically says to exchange the information (T-Slips and completed returns / notice of assessments). There are extraordinary expenses (Section 7 in NS) involved so proportional shares need to be calculated.

Right, just checking.

So if one party doesn't comply with the order the other can bring them back to court on a contempt motion. The court can order a fine, or even jail time, if the uncomplying party is found in contempt.

However, judges don't like finding people in contempt because it doesn't really solve anything. Judges just want people to follow the orders. And a contempt motion has to be done very specifically and carefully, don't try to do it without some legal help.

Anything else to discuss?

ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer
Perfect - nothing else at this point. You were so helpful with the last question I had that I knew you would be the person to ask this one. Thanks so much!

Thanks! Glad to help.

If you want my specific attention to a question, just start off with Dear Ulysses and it will be left for me.

Good luck

Ulysses