Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian Family Law Question? Ask a family lawyer.

Canada Family Law

I need to know my rights during a seperation he is the only…

I need to know my...
I need to know my rights during a seperation
he is the only one on the house title, he owned it before i married him. the truck he bought me before we were married but had to register it under his name recently which was supposed to be signed back over to me but now he won't and is threatening to sell the house and truck and leave me with nothing
he remortgaged the house while we were married if that makes difference or not
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to know my rights during a...
he is the only one on the house title, he owned it before i married him. the truck he bought me before we were married but had to register it under his name recently which was supposed to be signed back over to me but now he won't and is threatening ... view full
29 December 2017 05:37
12/30/2017
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

What province are you in? When were you married? Did you live together before you were married?

Did you still want to talk to me about these separation issues?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i live in alberta
yes i lived with him before marriage
been married since august 2013

It has been five days since you posted your question, has anything changed? Have you spoken to any lawyers yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no i haven’t

So there's a home and truck. It sounds like the truck is older, and if he owned it prior to the relationship then it stays his anyway.

The house is different, if you were married and lived in it then it's the Matrimonial Home. He's free to remortgage it since he's the only one on title. He's even free to list it for sale. But to close any sale and distribute the assets he needs your co-operation because you have rights of possession and rights to equity in the home under family law.

He either doesn't know this, or he does and is just trying to freak you out or scare you.

You should consult with a family law lawyer near you, try to negotiate a separation agreement that's fair and resolves your property issues quickly and without hostility or time wasted in court.

Does that make sense? I'm here if you have further question or comment on the topic. If I've answered you may I please have a positive service rating so that I get paid by the site for helping you today?

ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer
ulysses101
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer