Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian Family Law Question? Ask a family lawyer.

Canada Family Law

Thanks for your advice which I would like to request more…

Hi thanks Debra for your...
Hi thanks Debra for your advice which I would like to request more clarification about. I explained to you how I ended up in current situation and why I couldn’t bring my children back to Canada and the unrelated developments that led to the end of my marriage. I would like to come to Canada in the future in order to qualify and apply for citizenship. My children won’t be coming with me, that’s their choice, but also because of the obstacles I explained earlier.
I am worried that my ex wife could get me in trouble e.g1. claim that I unlawfully kept children in Sudan. My concerns that such a claim could put me in confrontation with the law so that I could loose my freedom to leave Canada for any trip abroad OR jeopardise my citizenship application.2. She might file for divorce settlement which again I worry might interfere with my freedom and with my citizenship applications.3. She might start court proceedings in my absence and without my knowledge, I worry that I get in trouble at point of entry when I come to Canada or shortly afterwards.4. Would I be entitled for legal aid from the government because I won’t be able to afford paying for legal representationI would like to have your opinion on the different scenarios mentioned above and also would like to know my rights and how I could lawfully protect myself from any expected/ unexpected situation as mentioned above.
I look forward to hearing from you
12/29/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

1) This will not affect your citizenship application. It has nothing to do with immigration at all. You will not be convicted of an offence.

2) This cannot affect your freedom or citizenship application either. Divorce is a civil matter.

3) She has to serve you and prove it. Again it has nothing to do with your right to enter or leave Canada.

4) You can get a legal aid certificate if you are resident in the province and of very low income.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer