Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My ex partner has a court ordered visit today plus frist…

Customer Question
My ex partner has a...
My ex partner has a court ordered visit today plus frist sleepover. Times are dec 24 10am to dec 25 10am. His mom is suppose to supervise the visits. They live almost right across the street from me they shouldnt even be late. I waited until 10:17 this morning and texted his mother and said i was going to sleep i have the flue she replyed at 10:40 saying she was here no one answer. When i was up no one showed up and the door my mom was up for the remainder and still no one came. Can i cancel the visit.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
12/24/2017
Family Lawyer: CriminalDefense,
 replied 6 months ago
CriminalDefense
Do you have other plans and need to leave?
I am suposse to go to my parents
Are the laws the same in the usa as they are in canada i live in ontario
Family Lawyer: ulysses101, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

If they are right across the street, why not go knock on the door to see what's going on and if they want their visit today?

Normally when theu dont show up i can cancel a visit but because of the special circumstances am i still aloud to cancel. I am not able to go nock on the door right now i am sick

I know that normally if they don't come you can cancel, but this is a special circumstance because it's Christmas and it's the first overnight.

I recommend that you text and call the supervising mom again. Let me know what happens.

She said that she was here in the morning but she wasnt she also said that she can pick her up when i call or text

You don't want it to look like you were trying to break the court order.

If I were you, give her one more chance to come get the child, remind her that the dropoff is still tomorrow at 10:00 a.m..

Then you can be certain that they won't say in court that this was your fault, and you'll look like the good guy because you went out of your way to make the court ordered access happen.

Tell her that if she was there, nobody heard her at the door, but that you're still home now for the next bit and you're leaving soon so if they want her to come now. And do it by text so you have a record.

Does that make sense?

Ok thank you so much for your advice even though i dont want to send her i will

I know you don't want to, but the order is the order. You have to make it look like you tried to follow it.

If we're finished, may I please have a positive service ratings? Ratings are how I get paid by the site for helping its customers. I'd appreciate it.

Did it work out?

Yes?

I'm hoping to hear that you sent her and everything worked out ok.