Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

Briefly, my son and his partner separated in February 2016.

Customer Question
Briefly, my son and...

Briefly, my son and his partner separated in February 2016. She walked out on the family. They have two children now 7.1/2 and 2.1/2 years. They share 50/50 custody at this time.. My ex daughter-in-law is verbally abusive has crossed the line into physical violence when they were together. Recent events have indicated that she has actively sought to destroy my son. example sending an anonymous letter to his employer which subsequently resulted in his losing his job.. I am very angry with her and feel I must write to her to 'give her a piece of my mind'. My grandchildren are very precious to me and we have an extremely close relationship. My question is if I do this would it be grounds for her to stop me seeing my grandchildren?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

British Columbia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Right now I don't know what, there is so much.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
12/12/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for the delay. I had posted a reply but it clearly didn't go up.

What I had asked is whether there is an order or agreement about this 50/50 custody or is this just something they worked out?

There is an order for the 50/50.

And do you see the kids when they are with your son?

I see them all the time. I have the baby on Wednesdays and I pickup the elder from school on Wednesday and Thursday. He sleeps over frequently, and I am available when needed. I never see or speak with my daughter in law.

But is that during your son's time or also during her time?

Just in my son's time

Then she has no say over when you see the kids as it is always during her time.

But she is exceedingly hateful and vindictive and the last thing you want is her dragging your son into court if she tries to get an order stating that he cannot expose the kids to you because you are not acting in their best interests. It's not likely she would win but you have to consider whether you are willing to take that chance.

It may be better to ignore her for now and wait until more time passes to take her on. She is not going to care what you say in your letter. She is emotionally abusive and out of control. So you cannot think the letter will help your son.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

did you get my last note?

I don't see anything posted after I provided my answer. Please try again.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?