Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My current girl friend is worried that my unpaid child

Customer Question
My current girl friend...

My current girl friend is worried that my unpaid child support to the mother of my children could affect her assets, is this true and how can i protect hr from this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
12/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Do you have any assets in both your names jointly?

no

Then she has nothing to worry about. It has nothing to do with her.

Your debts including child support payments are yours alone. The only time she would be at risk is if you had assets that were held jointly.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

no we don't share any assets jointly. I have been living with her on and off for over a year in her 500 000$ home. I have only started paying rent 3 months ago. she made up a rental agreement that also states that i am to own none of her assets. She is worried that i am going to try to do the common law thing and is also worried that because i have some debt that the mother of my children will try to get the 9 years unpaid child supoort from her. I feel like i can sign a rental agreement and an agreement that protects her from me taking any part of the house but i fee they should be 2 seperate agreements and not one. I also feel that the agreement about assets should be open to us possibly investing in another property in the future only if she agrees.

If you want a cohabitation agreement it has to be done properly. You both need to make full financial disclosure and need your own lawyers. One lawyer will draft the agreement for one of you and the other will provide independent legal advice.

The agreement can deal with assets and also with support.

Her concern is simply a non-issue.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer