Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I am 7 and a half months pregnant. I'd like to get custody…

Customer Question
I am 7 and...

I am 7 and a half months pregnant. I'd like to get custody sorted out before my son is born. The father hasn't been involved with the pregnancy and does not have intention of being involved with the baby. Can you file for custody of an unborn child in ontario?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ontario canada....

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I am not interested in child support. As far as i can see it will be very straight forward...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. It's all very plain and simple

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
12/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby.

You cannot get any order with respect to the child until the child is born.

But you can certainly see a lawyer ahead of time and have the lawyer get draft an agreement that the father can sign when the baby is born. If the father won't sign the agreement or consent to an order your lawyer can bring an application for sole custody as soon as the baby is born.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?