Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

Im 21 years old and lived with my mom since i was 10 and…

Customer Question
Im 21 years old...

Im 21 years old and lived with my mom since i was 10 and parents divorced. My father never paid child support and my mom was too scared to take him to court. Im a university student and hes agreed to give me monthly payments towards living and has not. Can I take him to court for the years missed before I was 18?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I am just seeing if it is a possibility first and doing some research

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
11/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this. In most cases a court will not go back more than three years. So it is not likely that you or your mother could sue him successfully going back for more than three years.

It is possible that your mother could get a retroactive order for the last three years but she would have to show why she left this for so long.

Going forward your mother could seek child support so long as you are still working on your first degree and still live at home when not at school. The child support would include contributions to university tuition and other costs including room and board if you are living at school during the school year.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.