Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My 6 year old son goes to his dad every other weeken last…

Customer Question
Hello my 6 year...

Hello my 6 year old son goes to his dad every other weeken last weekend i had his neighbour contact me with some concerns for my son. his home is filthy and he smokes around my son. there was a mouse found in my sons bed and he didint change the sheets or anything i want to know if i have legal rights to say he caznt go back to his home and then go to the courts to change our parenting order. or if i have to go and change the order first

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Alberta Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not as of yet he is suppose to go to his dad this weekend and i want to know what i cant do right now to protect him before going to court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
11/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this. It sounds unbearable.

Is there an order or agreement with respect to custody and access?

I am the custodial parent and he has access everyour other weekend

But is this in a court order or just an agreement?

Court order

Then unless you believe this is really a matter of safety you cannot breach the court order but must bring an application to court on an urgent basis to vary the order based on this material change of circumstance.

In fact if you are very, very worried then you may be able to vary this agreement on an emergency basis for the interim without providing the father with notice of the application.

I suggest you attend the courthouse and speak to a clerk and say you need to bring an emergency application so your child is not at risk of harm and see if they can get you the hearing.

If not you would ask for a date for an urgent hearing and serve the parent with the notice of application.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.