Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I was just wondering what my rights are. I'm the sole

Customer Question
Hi, I was just...

Hi, I was just wondering what my rights are. I'm the sole gardian of my daughter. her father has not been in her life for 3 years and 5 months. And is now asking to see her. we have a court order in place that says hes aloud to see her every sunday 12-5pm but he has not done that or paid child support to I have to let the visit happen or can I say no

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alberta canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
11/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

How old is your daughter?

she is 8 on the 24th
he also has two other children that he does not see or pay child support either. he tried taking the second childs mom to court and he didn't show up last year around this time

So is this man essentially a stranger to your daughter?

basically, she does know him very faintly

Was he out of town?

Were the communicating by skype or facetime or at least phone calls?

Does she want to see him?

he was in town then moved to bc so we are no longer in the same province.
he has not contacted her in 3 years and 5 months.
no she doesn't want to see him she has a step dad now

You have to protect your child and that will come ahead of any court order.

This man abandoned your daughter. He didn't have any contact for almost 3.5 years.

If he threatens you with court your best next step is to proceed to court on an urgent basis to seek to vary the order based on a material change of circumstance. The change is that he abandoned your little girl for 3.5 years, he is a stranger and she will be harmed if she has to see him at all, let alone being alone with him.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer