Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I live in a condo in Calgary, Alberta. The header above my…

I live in a condo...
I live in a condo in Calgary, Alberta. The header above my patio doors is sagging due to water damage. As a result I cannot open my patio doors. The condo board has sent 6 different contractors to assess and quote. All 6 say the doors can be removed and replaced since they are not broken. However, the board has picked out a new set of doors for me and has their hands out for $4,300. I can share the pertinent section of the condo bylaws with you.
Question: Does the condo board have the right to bully and strong-arm me?
11/16/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Do you own the patio doors or is this a common element?

I own the condo. The condo bylaws say owners are responsible for doors and windows. My point is that the doors are not damaged. The structural damage of the building is what is preventing them from opening and closing. I did attach a section of the condo by-laws. Did you get that?

Yes I did. I read it but I had no way to knowing who owns the doors.

I understand your issue.

If the header is what needs to be replaced and if the header is a common element then the condo corporation is responsible for getting the header repaired and for the costs.

I suggest you send a letter to the Board making it clear you are not prepared to pay for doors that are needed when what is needed is for the header to be repaired and that if they don't agree you are happy to have a court decide.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

I have written repeatedly (emails). They just keep responding by saying they have picked out the doors, they are putting them in, they will invoice me immediately and I have to pay or they'll take legal action against me.
Do I understand you correctly, after having read the by-laws, to say there is no legal basis to compel me to put in new doors?
It is really not about the bylaws. It’s about the fact that they are responsible for the common elements and it is header that is broken and needs to be repaired or replaced.They cannot simply decide that you are the banker and have to put new doors when they wish to do so.I think should have a lawyer write them.
How much would you charge to write the letter please?
I am not permitted to do so but a lawyer would likely charge you a couple hundred dollars.
Thank you very much. Have a great day!

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer