Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

Caitlin again... I have reached out to a lawyer that was…

Caitlin again... I have reached...
Caitlin again... I have reached out to a lawyer that was suggested to me. She is quite busy and didn't really have any referrals for me as I am in Hamilton. I am not sure what steps to take to ensure I find a good lawyer in my city. Hamilton. Things are needing to get resolved and I would like to have council for a solid claim before entering mediation with my ex. Please advise. Thank you!
11/16/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-****

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/directory/find-lawyers-or-law-firms/

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Thank you for this information...I am currently trying to obtain records of all of the money I have etransferred to my ex over the past 5 years. My financial institution directed me to a third party for records beyond 2years. A company called Certapay. They have told me that due to some sort of privacy act those records can only be obtained by a police officer. Is there a way to file for this information? it is my personal banking information... I'm not sure why one should not have access to their own financial records, what if i were audited?
What are your thoughts on this?thank you
Caitlin

That doesn't make sense.

You can pay any back to get your own records if they are in the archives.

I cannot imagine that you would need a court order for your own records.

It sounds like they think you want your ex's records.

the woman on the phone said they have no way to prove who I am, so they cant share that information

Speak to someone else as of course you can prove who you are!

I said it wasn't my fault that their company didn't have that in place, and asked if there was any procedure to obtain my persona records. I will call back now. thanks

OK

It took awhile, but i filed an "escalated query", someone should be looking into it and emailing me back.thanks

Great!

they keep deflecting back to my bank about it. I was on the phone for hour with the bank to find out that there was a third party for those records. One of these companies is responsible for my financial documentations for up to 7 years for tax purposes, no? Im so baffled that this is such hard info to get...

I don't know what more you can do.

I suppose going to head office of the bank and making it clear you need your own records, are willing to pay etc and it makes no sense that you may have to get a court order as that will cost the bank money as they will need a lawyer to appear in court when you apply for the order. (That may not be true but it's a good threat).

thanks!

I hope it works!

I have a meeting with a lawyer in Hamilton on Tuesday. I will be in touch further if necessary. I am a member currently. Thank you for your help! I have left a rating :)

I will be here if you need me!