Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I have some follow-up questions on my application to

Customer Question
Hello,I have some follow-up questions...
Hello,I have some follow-up questions on my application to immigration to Canada, under Express Entry.1. For Contact information, can I file a different address than the current address in the Address History. The reason is because I am moving back to Vietnam from the US in February and I know I will no longer have the address in the US. Or should I file the current address and then update my application when February 2018 comes?2. In the Organization History section, I have a gap between May 2008 to August 2008 when I transferred from my Community College and my University. Should I file as "Unemployed"? Or should I put the Community College all the way till August 2008?3. In my passport, I have a stamp for Mexico on August 8 and August 16. These were the dates I transited from the US to Brazil. I did go out and tour around Mexico city on August 8. But I don't remember getting out of the airport on August 16. Should I file "tourism" and list both dates on my Travel History section?Thank you for your help!Chi
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

1. You should use your current address now and then update when you move.

2. You can say unemployed or you can say summer break from school.

3. You should indicate that you were traveling as a tourist to Brazil and on the way there and back you had stop overs in Mexico.

I should list both Aug 8 and Aug 15 in my travel history?

You can just list the first and last day of your trip to Brazil. These are all part of the same trip.

I should only list Brazil and not Mexico, even if I did go out and tour Mexico for a day? Please see the attachment for the picture of what I have in the file now and the picture of my visa stamps on my passport regarding these destinations. Sorry to keep questioning you. I just want to file my information as accurate as possible.

That actually looks good. It's clear and there would be no reason to question it.

One more question... As a transfer student, I did two years in my community college and two years in a university to get my bachelor degree. In the Education Section, should I put "two years" or "four years" to complete the program? My education assessment put "four years including transfer credit", but I only spent two years in that university.

It is four years to complete the program but you should make sure somewhere you have both schools listed.

I listed both the Community College (2 years) and the University (4 years). That does not mean I repeat the counting, correct?

You reported correctly.

I have another question...I did a one -year part-time program at a university. The Education Assessment stated that the credential is "Certificate" and the Comparable Level in Canada is "Continuing Education Certificate (the credential is not comparable to a completed Canadian education credential."I am not sure if this is the reason I got 128 for my Education level or because I have received the bachelor degree from TCU (my university) and the associate degree from the community college.I think in my profile, before I have been invited, I put that it was a "one-year program at a university, trade or technical school, or other institute." Should I change it to "None or less than secondary high school"? Will this change my score and, eventually, I will get rejected"?

I don't see why you would change it. It was not high school. I think you reported it correctly.

I thought of changing it because in the form, it indicates that the foreign education has to be "equal to a completed canadian education credential"... So I am just worried.This is what it says in the "Help" button in the "Educational Level"
"Diploma" means a diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship certificate. "Degree" means a University degree.If you did not earn a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an organization designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report must show that your foreign education is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential.

I am not sure. If you did one year here it should count.

But I am not positive what they will say. It's very complicated.

I did it in one year but only part-time. The Education Assessment put "334.50 hours" as the "Duration of the Program"
you think I should keep it as "one year" for the level of education, and see what they say?

Yes that is likely best.

Is it possible to create another account right away to see if I can apply with a different score and possibly get another invitation?

You can try it anonymously and just check the score.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Hi Debra,Yes, I actually have a more concerning question. I went to a Community College for 2 years and then transferred to a university for another 2 years. Initially, I thought that would give me points in the educational level as "two or more degrees", but it actually seems that it would only count as one degree and my point will much be lower. Do you have any experience with any application/case like mine? What is the result?
Should I decline this invitation and apply again? Or should I continue with my application?

Did you get a degree from the university?

I got a Bachelor degree from my University and I got the Associate degree from my Community College. But I used the credit hours from my Community College and transferred them to my University and studied there for two years to get a Bachelor Degree.

It sounds like they may say this is just one degree. But I don't see why it would hurt to continue and see what happens.

Well, if I wait to see what happens, I might miss the next rounds when they may call for lower scores.

There's just no way to predict. I don't have a solid answer for you.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer