Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

We were divorced in October '99 and reconciled in

Customer Question
We were divorced in October...
We were divorced in October '99 and reconciled in $2004-2016. He has taken me for Everything since we were back together. Now he moved to Toronto and cancelled my medical. Can I go back to my Divorce agreement as far as this matter.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
11/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Did you remarry or become common law spouses only?

Can I assume there was no cohabitation agreement?

The only agreement was verbal. We were Common Law. He claimed my disability credit as my husband for 12 years.

You cannot rely on the separation agreement after you reconcile for most issues. Essentially any ongoing issues no longer apply if you reconcile for more than 90 days.

So unless you can get him to agree or get a court order he does not have to keep you on his medical benefits. And, in fact if he is divorced from you he could not do so as the insurance company would not allow that nor would they if you are separated and were not married first.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying when you are talking about keeping you on his medical?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

His agreement with me was he would give me $20,000 , get me a mortgage,keep me on his Medical and I could live in the condo for the rest of my life. I paid 1/2 mtg since April of 2016. He was having an affair for 3 years while we were together and the girlfriend had the mortgage done for him. Now he is Selling My Condo as well.

But that was all verbal, correct?

Did you pay more towards the mortgage than you would have for fair market value rent? The condo is just in his name right?

possibly his Girlfriend. She had him go through her Bank which he did.

How much more than 1/2 of fair market rent per month did you pay?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

I am paying the Condo Fees, takes and Insurance. He pays the mortgage.

But are you paying less or more than what would be fair market value rent divided by 2?

Thanks!

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer