Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian Family Law Question? Ask a family lawyer.

Canada Family Law

I would like to know about separation law in Canada. How

Hi, I would like to know...
I would like to know about separation law in Canada. How does it work when equal custody? Can I request if I can keep my daughter with me from Monday to Friday and then every weekend, we can take turns? Is he still obligated to give a child support if it is equal custody?
Also, how our debts and assets will be split? Is it 50/50?
Is it true that my spouse can stop me from bringing my kid for a vacation out of the country?
Please advice. Thanks.
10/16/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

These are a lot of questions and too many for one post.

I see three questions here. One is about shared custody. The second is about child support. The third is about traveling outside of Canada.

Please choose which one you want me to answer here. Then start two new posts for the two new questions. You have a subscription so there will not be any further charges for the two new posts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I Would like to address the shared custody first.

Sure.

You can ask for what you want and you and the other parent can come to any agreement you like. If you cannot reach an agreement and the court decides then a court will make it's decision based on what it finds to be in the best interests of your daughter. In that case the court would consider who has been the child's primary caregiver, what your child care plans are, whether you have extended family to support you etc etc.

Actually I just saw a 4th question. It's the one about assets and debts.

I can help with all the questions.

When we are done here please rate me and then start the next post. If you say this is for Debra your question will stand out for me and I will answer it at once.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer