Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian Family Law Question? Ask a family lawyer.

Canada Family Law

What is the best way to find a Family lawyer who will accept

a legal aid certificate? Also...
What is the best way to find a Family lawyer who will accept a legal aid certificate? Also, I need someone who will be aggressive yet fair, the opposing counsel is fighting dirty and I need someone who will stand up to him. I have found it very difficult so far to find suitable representation.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What province are you in please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m in Mississauga, ON

There are many excellent family lawyers in Toronto (I don't know specifically about Mississauga) who take legal aid cases.

In fact some of the leading boutique family law firms in mid or downtown Toronto have at least one family lawyer that takes some legal aid cases.

If you do a search on the legal aid website that may help:

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/getting/findingalawyer.asp

You can also try using the lawyer referral service but their site is down until 3 and it seems I cannot provide the link right now.

You can also simply call some of the family law firms in Toronto and ask if any of their lawyers accept some legal aid certificates.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** haven’t found those sources to be very helpful. In terms of finding the right personality/ fit.... how can I tell the style of the lawyer?

You should ask for a consultation and meet the lawyer.

The lawyer should appear caring and patient but also have a plan that they explain right away. They should say this is what I want you to do and then this is what I am going to do.......

You can tell them you are very concerned about your lawyer being able to deal with the lawyer on the other side and see what the response. The response should make you confident that your lawyer is not afraid to deal with and take on the other lawyer.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!

You are very welcome.

Take good care and enjoy your weekend.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer