Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian Family Law Question? Ask a family lawyer.

Canada Family Law

My husband and I are married but no longer live together due…

Customer Question
My husband and I are...
My husband and I are married but no longer live together due to work being an hour away and having no reliable transportation to get there. (I have epilepsy so cannot drive. Therefore I had to rent a room in a house to stay employed) I recently found out I can list myself as involuntary separated on my taxes and the CRA will only look at my income when deciding whether or not if I qualify for certain credits. My husband makes twice the amount I do so I was not entitled to them before. Here's my question :what credits would look at my income only in this case and what credits would look at both. I live in Ontario, Canada
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
10/10/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Do you consider that your marriage has ended?

No we are very happily married just the unfortunate situation of not being able to live together as I work to far away from home. (I tried using a taxi for awhile and it ended costing me a fortune) We see each other on the weekends.

I am opting out and asking the site to move the question to the Canada tax question list.

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor