Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

Is self represented in a Summary Judgement Motion. In the…

Customer Question
John is self represented in...
John is self represented in a Summary Judgement Motion.In the Release of a Summary Judgement Motion decision the justice writes:
CONCLUSION:
I grant summary judgement for John. John shall provide his costs submissions within two weeks. Mary shall provide her costs submissions within three weeks of today's date. Such submissions shall be no more than 3 pages, exclusive of the outline of costs.Mary's lawyer contacts John to approve a draft order of the Justice decision which would basically convert all 4 sentences above and turns them into formal orders to be filed.Question: Must John agree to all 4 sentences to be turned into formal orders? Wouldn't the guidance on cost submissions simply be procedural instructions on cost submissions instead of formal orders? How long is reasonable for John to review this request and turn around an answer before the other lawyer is in a position to submit the order on their own?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
9/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

There is no need to take out this order. Orders are taken out (drafted and then signed) when they may need to be enforced. That is not the case here. Ive never heard of a lawyer doing that before.

In any event this really shouldn't take much time to approve so I am not sure why John just doesn't approve right away.

Perhaps the lawyer wants to enforce the 3 page maximum guidance through an order which would make it more formal.
So there is no harm if John refuses some of those proposed orders.

If the wording is right he should not refuse. There is harm. If he makes this lawyer go to court because he won't agree with the drafts at some point she may ask for an order for her costs.

I know you are posting a lot of other questions and another expert is also assisting you and that is your right of course but please do rate this post now if we are done. I don't get paid until you do and I know you do rate me all the time of course but the fact is that your stats are being harmed on the site because you have 4 open questions and it harms my stats to have unrated questions as well.

Thanks

Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?