Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian Family Law Question? Ask a family lawyer.

Canada Family Law

My wife left our family home last September with our

Customer Question
daughter.She has left me financially...
My wife left our family home last September with our daughter.She has left me financially responsible for all of the bills acquired during our relationship is there grounds for filling for divorce for abandonment?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Ontario Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I was hoping to resolve our differences​ amicably but it doesn't seem that is what she wants.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have been to 1mediation session she canceled on the second one and is now wanting to continue mediation.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Family Law
5/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Abandonment is not a ground for divorce. But a one year separation is.

You can deal with the issues relating to your daughter, support and the division of assets now and can actually apply for the divorce now too but the judgment cannot be signed for the divorce until September.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer