How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  25 years in practice.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has abandoned my mother after my sister was gifted

Customer Question

My sister has abandoned my mother after my sister was gifted a family cottage. My mother was given a "life" involvement in the cottage. Do I have any recourse?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ontario, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sister dropped off my mother one weekend at my place, as they went around to "their place". They have never indicated that my 93 yr. old mother could use her cottage, nor have they warned my mother that they are renting out the cottage.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please clarify: WHO gifted your sister a life estate in the cottage property?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my mother
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 6 months ago.

My apologies - I never saw your reply until now for some reason! Regardless, I see that you are in Canada. Ergo, I am going to opt out and move this to the Canadian Law category - you are currently in the US Law category.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I am a lawyer in Canada and your question just appeared on our list.

Do you mean that your mother was given a life interest in the cottage?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.