Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I had a relationship with one woman November of 2016 and…

Customer Question
Hello,I had a sexual relationship...
Hello,I had a sexual relationship with one woman November of 2016 and recently with one in February of 2017. My anxiety is through the roof and for some reason I am assuming the worst case situation. If they were to both announce they were pregnant how does laws in Ontario determine the fees to pay for child support. I make around $20,160 Gross per year. How would they calculate my child support fees assuming I would be paying child support for two babies. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Family Law
3/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this worrisome state.

I am a senior family lawyer in Ontario.

If there are two different mothers you will pay support to each for one child.

If the mothers each have the child at least 60% of the time then you will have to pay each $161 dollars per month in basic support.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello,What if both the mothers have custody for 100% of the time. Also, what would be the maxium they could take per month, because you mentioned basic support? I always hear these stories and my concern is having no money left for myself if that were to happen.

There is no maximum.

The amount I provided is the monthly amount.

On top of that if there are dental fees, or medical fees, or child care fees you would also have to contribute to those.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would I be looking at let's say an Average of $500.00 per month per Child including medical expenses?

I have no idea what the special expenses would be or what percentage you have to pay.

You would pay a percentage based on comparing your income to the mother's.

So if one mother earned the same as you, just by way of example, then you would split the expenses for that child. If the other mother earned twice what you earned she would pay 2/3 and you would pay 1/3.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer