Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

I'm just wondering about a couple of things. My ex plans on

Customer Question

I'm just wondering about a couple of things. My ex plans on representing himself at pre-trial here in Saskatchewan. I won't do that. I have offered a settlement twice only to be told no each time. HOw often does a judge find someone representing themselves. Especially since he had a lawyer to begin with and then had him withdraw.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Saskatchewan Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes there is chambers on Jan 23 to decide a date for pre trial. He believes that he is not responsible for my debt
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The law as far as the separation goes - it is the date of settlement right? He seems to think it is the day that I left. Any of the debt I had from separation to date of petition is included in the asset split correct?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am not quite sure what you are asking.

Are you asking if self-representing is common?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That and a couple other things. If he represents himself after firing a lawyer - how does that impact the pre-trial?

He could get an adjournment if he needs more time to prepare perhaps but that is really it.

What else do you want to know?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do judges normally like having people represent themselves?
And I had a question about debt that occurs between when I left and date of petition? Are both parties still responsible for the others debt during that period? And what if the respondent doesn't agree do the separation date?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you get my last message?

Judges are used to it unfortunately.

You are not responsible for debts incurred by the other after separation.

You would each submit evidence about the separation date and a court would decide.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?