Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

Thank you:) I just visited this pg to see some questions and

Customer Question

Thank you:) I just visited this pg to see some questions and answers. I didn't expect that I'm going to have live chat immediately:)
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, we signed a separation agreement and that is it. We don't have children.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have only one question. He had accident in 2005 and he still didn't get any money from that claim. We separated on Oct. 2014 and signed separation agreement in 2015. In that agreement he signed that he was not going to claim anything from me and I'm not going to claim anything from him. This year he applied for disability benefit and for CPP split and got it. Do I have right to claim and get from him to pay me from 2005-2014 when he get money from car accident? That is my question.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

No unfortunately you do not.

Even if you had not signed the separation agreement monies paid for personal injuries are never shared.

But the separation agreement made it clear that you could not make a claim for any assets he has anyway.

The CPP split can happen regardless of any separation agreement.

Does that answer your question fully even though it is not what you were hoping to hear?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?