How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100477
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend was charged with domestic violence, as i called

Customer Question

Hi, my boyfriend was charged with domestic violence, as i called the police on him. I want to drop the charges, how can i do that?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation.

Unfortunately, this is not have the legal system works. You did not charge your boyfriend so you cannot drop the charges.

The police charged your boyfriend because they had reasonable grounds for believing that an offence has occurred. For this reason it is not likely that they will agree to drop the charges. In addition, we have what is called a zero tolerance to domestic violence policy because the victim often wants to change their mind. So it is very difficult and often impossible to get the crown to drop the charges.

You can certainly let the crown know what you think and can gets some further support and assistance if you should call victim services on Tuesday and speak with them.

I'm sorry I could not give you the answer you were hoping for.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been reading a lot about it and understand that it is up to the crown prosecutors to decide. I called the police station and told them that i want to remove the charges, the gave me the number for Family services regina and the prosecutor number as well and said that the family services will help me towards the procedure of removing the charges. What are the possibilities of the prosecutor agreeing to remove the charges? My boyfriend does not have a criminal record, neither do i.
Do i need a lawyer before i approach the family services or the prosecutor to remove the charges?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is ok if you cannot call, however would you be able to suggest to my previous questions?
Thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

You don't need a lawyer.

There is not a great chance of the Crown agreeing to drop the charges as I've already explained.

And it is victim services that will help you which is why I suggested you call them on Tuesday.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Where can i find the contact info for victim services?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

I can try and find it.

Where do you live?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** found the number. Since you are a lawyer, would you know what happens when i tell the victim services that i want to get the charges removed?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

They will explain the law and then will explain what you can try and how to call or write and what to say.

They don't do anything but they help you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since my boyfriend was charged yesterday, he was brought to the police station and they brought him back home after couple of hours, and they told him that he cannot contact me and he cannot live at our house, however since we understood each other and we are back together, we are living together at the house right now. Is this against the law or can it do anything against us?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

It is against the law.

He will be put in jail if this is discovered.

He is under court order not to be near you.

This is very, very serious.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What should i do? Should i tell the police that i want to stay with him?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

You can tell that to the police or the Crown but they won't care.

So long as the charges are not resolved he is not going to be permitted to stay with you.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Family Law Questions