How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101461
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother received a court hearing for a divorce and child

Customer Question

My brother received a court hearing for a divorce and child support and other monetary requests last week. the court date is November 4th. How do I postpone the date?
he lives in quebec montreal.Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Why would you be postponing it?

Does he have a lawyer?

Why does he need an adjournment?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
because he does not have lawyer yet and she is suing him for money for her in addition to child support. she also requesting for him to pay her debt. I'm looking for a lawyer now but afraid that I would not be able to have one to go with him.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

If she has a lawyer then your brother should contact the lawyer, indicate he is in the process of finding a lawyer to retain and needs and adjournment.

The lawyer will likely agree.

If the lawyer does not your brother has to attend court and ask the judge to grant an adjournment on the basis that he needs to find a lawyer and he may have to show what steps he has taken to find a lawyer.

You cannot act for your brother in court as you are not a lawyer.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?