Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

Can my ex-wife record a conversation for me talking to her

Customer Question

Can my ex-wife record a conversation for me talking to her on a social media voice call, without my permission, and provide it as an evidence that I abused her? and Judge accepts that evidence?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Can you tell me more about this communication? I gather that it wan't a phone call?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Viber or Skype call...Which I am forced to use to speak to my girl... because I'm out of the country

She can record whatever she wants, the question is whether she can use it as evidence in court.

What went down in the conversation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't really remember... She was trying for months to get me saying that I did something bad to her.. which is not true.. but maybe trying hard to satisfy her to come back to me with my daughter.. I admitted something... verbal or physical abuse.. is it easy to use this voice recording as an evidence of doing such abuses?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm here. The site is set up like a chat but I'm up and down from my computer.

So what country are you in?

How do you know she recorded anything?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know if she has recorded anything or not.. I'm just assuming the worst.
I think the information that I have provided should be sufficient to get a straight Yes or No answer... right?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please let me know if I would have an answer anytime soon sir. And if you think there are any factors that could affect the judge decision please state them so I can help by answering your doubts. Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not happy with the service I am getting. I have paid the highest rate to get a quick response and I got only questions back no answers were provided.

The experts aren't site employees, I'm a practising lawyer. In fact I'm at court right now.

I'm sorry that you're not getting your answers as quickly as you want, but the most important thing is that we discuss this until you're clear on the issues.

Are you in litigation now? What turns on whether she has recorded you?

This isn't a "yes or no" question. We have to discuss the contents of the recording and for what she might use it before I can tell you whether it's admissible or what damage it might cause you.

If you like, you can contact customer service and ask for deposit to be refunded. It's up to you. But I'm here and happy to discuss this until you're satisfied.