How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 99963
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 13 years old and has lived exclusively with

Customer Question

My daughter is 13 years old and has lived exclusively with me for 2 and 1/2 years. She does not want to live with or contact her mother. Can a court force her into an unwanted relationship with her mother?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry you are in this difficult situation.

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nova scotia
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Nova Scotia there is no way to compel a 13-year-old child to live or visit with any one she does not want to visit. At 13 the police will not compel her to do so.

It is not at all likely that the court will make an order against your daughter's wishes 13. However, even if they did that order is for you and not for her. So long as it does not appear that you are the one that is trying to breach the order the mother will not be able to do a thing if the daughter herself refuses to see her.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Family Law Questions