How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 99979
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had family services called on me and my husband. It has

Customer Question

I had family services called on me and my husband. It has blown way out of proportion and I want to know before I see or meet any more with them should I be getting legal counsel since I do need to make some hanged in regards ***** ***** oldest son who's father is the one who started this and got my parents all worried and worked up and my son and of course they over reacted and made reports and now are regretting this because my son can be quite a story teller and there are a lot of other outside issues happening right now my Father just died and we r fighting in civil court for money from our business and it goes on and on. But this wasn't expected and I can get very upset when it comes to my children and don't want to say the wrong thing out of context. I want o know my true rights when it comes to these invaders of my private life which seems very unfair when their are children in the streets and in homes being raped and starved and abused that's should be getting looked into and saved not my home with some ios and downs but overall lovely and full of food and top of the line clean clothes and all kinds of extra curricular activities sorry for blabbing not usually my style just want an honest opinion i can afford a lawyer I just want a good one.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you on this difficult situation.

I am not able to figure out the facts just yet.

Please start at beginning and give me all the basic facts.

What province are you in please?

What specifically do you want to know? For example are you asking her how to find a lawyer anything to represent you?

What does family services want to do right now? For example, have you met with them yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My situation is I have 3 children but it is more directed for the 8!tear old who has a different father. His father has been in and out of his life his whole life in fact I'm not sure if he even has any right at all. Not even guardianship as he never lived with us for any length of time at all. He left us when Jace was 7 months came back a few months later and we tried but there was no use I hated him and I started using to numb myself from the situation. I had a good job beautiful home and I don't like alcohol I need to be in control so i chose cocaine. I used heavily and he used heavier and we had a business and it was working so the money kept rolling in and keeping us high. Needless to say I started straightening out a bit and he used us for our money our vehicles gas cards etc. Finally we had to completely fire him. He continued s downward spiral to get s bit better here or there and sent a child support amount to me maybe 10 times in Jaces life I can count on 2 hands how many times they've seen each other since he was a baby. So this is like 2009/10. He became a complete raging psycho and threatens me constantly and actually is dangerous. I know he had hurt many people very badly. So I've always felt like it would end up him killing me or vice versa. It's sad but we can get along at times but his rage is so incredible. But it made sense when spring 2025 I found him on gay hook up sites and he as out looking to hook up with strangers. Men! So all these years he's never had a home he's pretty much couch hopped or girlfriends maybe boyfriends who knows very unhealthy life. Running drugs and being involved with drug dealing and money gathering type activity for payment of his addiction. I have been in treatment in 2010 and again in 2012. I've had a few slips but have not been drunk since Jan 8 2012. But that date is when I really took it seriously and I admit I've had some slips but it's in a safe environment and not in reckless dangerous situations. My children are not suffering at all I know duping my ugly side does look bad I'm sure in writing. But I live a normal life for me. I look after myself I live in s beautiful million dollar acreage outside of spruce grove and have since had 2 more children with my husband. We have a business and with recession isn't great right now but we've done well and continue to make a living. We have had a lot of ups and downs with starting a new business buying this big acreage that needed many renos. Anyways our plates have been way over full then to make it worse my dad who was also a business partner with my husband in one of the businesses was diagnosed last May with cancer and passed on August 21 on my home I took him out of the hospital and arranged private care for him so he could pass with dignity and comfort. Just to be side swiped with news of these reports of my husband and his rages and our using. And we have used but we arnt all messed up. I mean my goodness I guess if it was food or sex they'd be here too I mean I don't get what business it is if anyone's what people do when out of town or country or every once in a while the children have a wonderful life they live in a beautiful home and have many toys and get a lot of outside time with me and my husband. We spend more time with out kids three most parents and we have some fights who doesn't but because of being a person who enjoys a bit of wilder side times 98 percent we are work cooking kids activities travel and try to sit down and watch a movie but that isn't our style we take the kids everywhere all the time and they are happy healthy well taken care of beyond spoiled actually. And Jeremy goes to rehab and gets clean for a few months and starts hating Ken and thinking he should be here this is his life so he threatens to kill Ken and is trying to do anything to make him out to be the lowest drag on this earth which is absolutely untrue. We could all do better be better but we are aware of who and what our problems are not in denial and blaming others. I know my children have an amazing safe life and I am an amazing cook and love to feed and spend as much individual time each day with each child but with constant worry and stress I do feel lately I haven't been as good as I usually am by even close but I'm broken I was a daddy's girl I'm working through it obviously I'm strong. But when people make me feel like they are threatening my family out the future or safety of my children j feel a little crazy like I just want to deal with this in not such nice ways I know it's new and fresh but being accused of using and holding this stigma even when doing complety well and happy even in over a year type spans between having a bump in the road. Anyways I want to know how to remove his parental rights get a restraining order on him since he's out of rehab on Sunday and could lose it use come shoot us etc. Also I want to make sure I know mine and my kids rights against family serviced are.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

There are two questions here really.

One is how to deal with trying to sever the father's rights to the 8 year old.

The second is about family services.

I cannot answer both questions on this post.

Which would you prefer me to address here?

You can then start a new post for the second question and if you put my name into the question, it is Legal Ease, I will be the one to answer.


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sever the rights please. I mean family services will find it a malicious threat and close file I hope.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Your facts are very compelling and my heart really goes out to you. You have set a new course for your life and your children are very lucky.

Your goal is to do what is best for your 8 year old of course and you want to prevent him from being hurt by a father who has only been a father in name for some time.

It is very hard to convince a court to sever all rights of a parent.

So the court is likely going to want to restrict access but not cut off all rights.

One compromise is to only have supervised access and that would be where a professional agency does the supervision.

But if that is going to be harmful then you would have to prove to the court that any contact with the father is not going to be in your child's best interests.

You may need to bring in a professional to do an assessment and provide a report for the court.

So your next step should be to retain a family lawyer in your city who can then seek the order you need or at least assist you in getting that assessment done first.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you very much that helps a bit still need a lawyer though. I just want to make sure my kids are well looked after and transition through these tumultuous times in a safe loving way. Not being questioned and scared if they say the wrong thing they won't be able to stay home. It is terrible that situations with children get so volatile it only hurts the little ones and wastes time and money that could be spent in much more positive ways.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Yes for sure you need a lawyer to deal with both issues.

Where do you live? I may be able to suggest how to find one.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Family Law Questions