How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100373
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I agreed for my wife to be inseminated by a anonymous donor.

Customer Question

I agreed for my wife to be inseminated by a anonymous donor. Unfortunately, right before the baby was born, Things did not work out and decided to separate. i do not want to be part of the baby's life. What are my rights and her rights? I also do not want to run away for my responsibilities for the baby if there are any. can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your most interesting question. I am sorry you are in this difficult situation. I am happy to help.

Please let me know your province.

I will then need a bit of time to do some research.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
quebec. thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Did you sign a document stating you were involved in a parental project.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

In Quebec because you consented to the artificial insemination and you are married and you agreed to be part of the parental project you are treated in law just as if you were the biological father of the child.

That means you have all the same rights and obligations as if the child was your biological child.

As such you are legally the child's father. You will have to provide child support if the child lives with the mother and you will have the same rights to custody or access that any parent has.

I know that is not what you were hoping to hear but does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Family Law Questions