How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101023
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I pay child support daughter. She is 16 and

Customer Question

My husband and I pay child support for his daughter. She is 16 and has dropped out of school and recently had a baby. She has moved out of her mothers house but is currently living back there since the birth of her child. Just wondering if and when it is ok to stop child support payments. We live in Alberta
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

No it is not OK to stop payments. She is living at home and is a minor so she is still entitled to child support.

Once she reaches the age of majority she loses the right to child support if she is not attending school full-time.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if she is living with her boyfriend and not in her mothers house we would still continue payments?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

No. But if she moves back home she gets supported until she is 18.